Search This Blog

March 15, 2011

Green is Great: A Look at Starbucks' New Logo

I've recently found myself embracing "green" in regards to my morning (and sometimes afternoon) affair. While it might normally refer to the amount of cash I spend on a great cup of caffeine, the release of Starbucks' new logo (along with their utterly amazing and yummy petite treats!) on March 8, reminded me that green doesn't always refer to the cash I'm spending, but when purchasing from Starbucks, it is so much more!

As my good friend and fellow blogger Alyssa Mayer wrote in her entry on the new logo,
"My classic white Starbucks cup now had a green siren sleeve…and I loved it! Starbucks has been consistent with its green color and now the logo is so recognizable you don’t even need the brand name around it to know it means Starbucks."

As the now 40-year company embraces the green coloring and siren that represents their storied history, they also embrace the modern concept of "green" - an idea that I am absolutely passionate about.  A corporation that is a true leader in business and social success, Starbucks is GREEN with social initiatives to take ethical, local and global responsibility, moving forward in more ways to build "greener" stores (not just with their logo and new products!), continue to protect clean water, and promote sustainable coffee.


Looking at this logo from a communications and marketing perspective, I love that this logo has so much meaning behind it. It relates to the original symbol of Starbucks (the siren), embraces  the core values of the organization (sustainable growth, among others), and symbolizes the 40-year milestone of a ground-breaking company.

As Howard Schultz, President and CEO of Starbucks writes: 
"Throughout the last four decades, the Siren has been there through it all. And now, we’ve given her a small but meaningful update to ensure that the Starbucks brand continues to embrace our heritage in ways that are true to our core values and that also ensure we remain relevant and poised for future growth."

I say, kudos to you, Starbucks! I'm proud to spend my "green" to support your "green!" 

1 comment:

  1. I love reading this post as I am sitting here sipping my Starbucks latte. Money well spent!

    ReplyDelete