Search This Blog

April 04, 2011

Having Your Cake and Eating It Too: The Job Search Version

As I sip my Don Francisco's Cinnamon Hazelnut coffee blend - my usual at-home go-to - I am thinking about a particularly interesting article I read this a while back by Ruth Mantell for MarketWatch. The article, titled "Job-hunting tips for new college grads" went over questions that about-to-graduate college students might have as they enter the job market, and how experts respond. She starts the article with this hook:
"The job hunt is on for college seniors set to graduate in the next few months, and the competition is intense — there are about five unemployed people for each job opening, and most young workers have comparatively little experience."

This got me thinking...while I consider myself a "freelancer," I am also one of the people competing in that statistic. I referred back to a conversation I had with a friend about the dilemma this generation/economy is in - finding a job (having your cake) and finding a job that you are passionate about (and eating it too). 

This friend said to me, "Lindsay - I don't do enough of what I love or enjoy doing - but I have to pay the bills somehow. At 31, that just isn't good enough anymore." 
 
As a 24-year old, I wonder how much of an idealist I am to believe - and require for myself - that I have the ability to pursue a career that I adore and have passion for...that also pays the bills and allows me to live comfortably, reach my goals and dreams, and ultimately allows me to be happy.

How many others are there who have an unaltered passion for their career, pursuing what they believe in? Is the happiness in doing what we love only a novelty, only enjoyed when it's a hobby? Is true happiness found in moderation of all aspects of what we enjoy, or can one truly strive for excellence and invest serious amounts of time in a field they are passionate about without burning out on the love that they have for it?

I have to seek the wisdom of those older and wiser - with more life experience than myself - to answer those questions. Until then, I am going to continue to pursue things I am passionate about - like drinking this coffee!

1 comment:

  1. Linds - I ask myself all the time if the dreams are worth the sacrifice. I think yes. Of course, while we are young things may not be perfect, but that's going to come down the line. Rarely do 24 year olds have their "dream job". For now, a job that pays the bills and sets up a life of happiness which allows you to do what you really love can sometimes be enough. I know for me, with the passion I have for what I want to do, some day I will find my way there. :-)

    ReplyDelete