Search This Blog

April 04, 2011

More Than Coffee: Connecting

As Starbucks' Chairman, President & CEO Howard Schultz so eloquently writes, one of the core values of Starbucks is to provide "a unique retail experience that creates a Third Place for our customers between their homes and places of work."


I've often mused over the power of coffee shops as a "Third Place" - not only to get my day going with the right caffeine buzz, but also as a fantastic place to meet new people, enjoy friendly conversation and be creatively productive. I enjoy the buzz of conversation, creativity, and of course the caffeine, and the wonderful concoction of that energy, combined with the livening smell of freshly ground roasted coffee beans and the sounds of espresso brewing and steamed milk frothing is just what I order every time I step into my favorite shops or explore new 'grounds.' 

As a naturally social, friendly person with a passion for networking, coffee shops and I are great companions. Instead of working from home, I take my computer to a variety of coffee shops, supporting the local economy (see: Green is Great), and entering my "creative space." More than coffee, being at a coffee shop is about connecting to the energy of the place and people around me. 

Here is a brief review of my recent connections:

I've spent the majority of my day twice now at Mission Creek Cafe in San Francisco, and it was there that I realized that some of my best connections have been formed in coffee shops with people who I met that day. It seems to me that such interesting, creative people gather around the stimulating comfort of fresh brewed coffee and the companionship of those who share their addiction (myself included!) The atmosphere of Mission Creek  
 
My latest drink indulgence is a Chai latte with hazelnut, which I first enjoyed at Canyon Coffee Roastery in Redwood City with a new friend/business colleague, and found myself truly appreciating the excitement of having a great place to go. Neither her or I had been to Canyon before, but thanks to Yelp!, other people's recommendations of this quaint cash-only "roastery" was just what we needed for a peaceful yet engaging conversation about new business ventures. I think it was the hazelnut that inspired some satiable thoughts about taking connections between communities to a higher level. 

I also think I must have a sign on my forehead that reads, "Will provide airport rides for coffee!". Tuesday morning was an early one for me, dropping a friend off at the airport first thing in the morning, and of course, we swung by my ever-satisfying local Starbucks on the way. My venti/seven pump/non fat/no water/ light foam chai latte tasted like heaven. At the moment of my first sip, I thought about how grateful I am to have a coffee shop with baristas who know me and my to-go order for mornings like that!

My conclusion - for me, it's not just coffee shops that provide a "third place" between home and work. It's the coffee itself that provides the connection between home and work in my mental space as well! Cheers, coffee. Just when I thought my brain had run out of space...there you are, caffeinating my every thought into a brilliant idea.  

No comments:

Post a Comment